Experience UNESCO World Heritage Ore Mountains
From Leipzig to the mining towns of Annaberg-Buchholz and Schneeberg
Experience the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ore Mountains. Almost everything here seems to be connected with mining. A patron saint of miners lent her name to Annaberg. The master calculator Adam Ries was at home here. But also Nina Hagen, the punk legend. Enjoy the magnificent view from the 832m high Pöhlberg and the 8° cool depths of the visitor mine. Taste from the “Neunerlei” or get to know Ore Mountains wood art in the “Manufactury of dreams”. You will visit the wood-scented workshop of the artisan. The way to Schneeberg leads through small Erzgebirge villages, rustic river valleys and over gentle low mountain ranges. In Schwarzenberg, we stop briefly in the medieval old town with its towering castle. Schneeberg is home to the College of Textile Design. Perhaps we can pay a short visit to a renowned graduate on the market square.
On the way back to Leipzig, you can expect a short introduction to the diverse Christmas traditions of the Ore Mountains. And along the way you will enjoy local tastings – snacks, drinks, specialties.
Day trip to the upper Ore Mountains
Program and highlights of the day trip to the Ore Mountains
- flying visit to Chemnitz: Kaßberg Wilhelminian quarter, industrial culture
- visit to an artisan or a visitor mine
- short tour in Annaberg: St. Anne’s Church, market place, Manufacture of Dreams, Nativity Scene Trail
- side trip to the Pöhlberg with summit experience
- Erzgebirge tour via Schwarzenberg, Aue to Schneeberg
- Visit to the mountain town Schneeberg with market, lace making, St. Wolfgang church
- Tours of the Christmas markets in Annaberg and Schneeberg (on occasion also Schwarzenberg)
- Tour by lights through the most beautiful places of the Ore Mountains
- Insights into many additional workshops of the Ore Mountains
- Individual day trip in minibus up to 8 persons according to the program
- Accompaniment by certified tour guide
- Tour program (see above) with daily individual adaptation
- Suitability for wheelchair users (2 wheelchair places, boarding aids)
- doorstep pickup
- regional tastings
- 495,- € incl. VAT. Group price for 1 to 8 persons (minibus)
- all year round Saturdays, Sundays, holidays, immediately bookable
- other dates on request
Start and finish
- Start 9 am pickup from hotel or home in the area of Saxony (Chemnitz, Leipzig, Dresden, etc.) and also from the area of Halle, Gera or Jena.
- Finish 6 p.m. Arrival at pickup location or by appointment.
Number of participants
- up to 8 persons
- up to 2 wheelchair users
- up to 4 weeks before departure cancelable free of charge
- up to 24 hours before departure rebookable free of charge
- from 24 hours before departure cancellation fee 100% of the tour price
The day trip to the Ore Mountains is suitable for you if you …
- are a guest in Leipzig and you feel like going to the mountains.
- always wanted to know where Adam Ries lived.
- would like to look over the shoulder of an Erzgebirge wood sculptor at his work.
- prefer to buy Erzgebirge wood art directly from the producer.
- are interested in exclusive fashion, but the way to Milan is too far for you.
- want to visit a church that was built “catholic” but then became protestant.
- want to know what a mine looks like from the inside.
- want to experience the Erzgebirge dialect live.
- would like to be initiated into the secrets of the Erzgebirge Christmas traditions.
- are open-minded for Erzgebirge Christmas food and tastings.
- would like to visit one of the most beautiful Christmas markets in the Ore Mountains.
- … .
More tips and hints for the day trip to Annaberg-Buchholz and Schneeberg.
For the most part, you will be transported by minibus. In Annaberg and Schneeberg we also move on foot. However, depending on individual preference, you should not walk more than 3 to 4 km. Please make sure you wear clothes suitable for winter conditions.
- Workshop insight with artisans.
- End of November – mid-January: Christmas lights tour included.
Direct contact with tour guide
Spring and summer freshness
From March on, the Ore Mountains blossom. Unique mountain meadows, conventional fields and more than a third of forest surround the small towns and villages of the region. Over the Easter holidays, selected workshops of wood artists are open for you. Castles and palaces celebrate medieval festivals on Ascension Day and over Whitsun historic mills offer you insights into their centuries-old crafts.
September and October are colorful, mostly sunny and dry in the Ore Mountains. The mixed forests off the ridge of the Ore Mountains shine once again in all colors. It is the most beautiful season for hikers and mushroom pickers. Every year, on the Day of Traditional Crafts in mid-October, the craftsmen of the Ore Mountains invite visitors to their workshops. And then the often dreary November brings the longing for light into the houses.
Advent and Christmas time is the most beautiful season in the Ore Mountains. Houses and properties are decorated and illuminated for Christmas. Candle arches, fairy lights, miners and angels provide the festive backdrop for enjoyable walks and rides by lights through the many small towns of the Saxon mining region. Ideally, there should still be snow on the fields. However, more and more often it does not come until January.
Do you have questions about the tour or are you interested in an individual program? Then please click the button below. After complete input of your data you will receive an answer. There will be no extra costs.
You would like to book and pay the day tour by invoice? Then please click the button below. After complete entry of your data you will receive an invoice by mail. There will be no extra costs for you.
You would like to book and pay for the day tour online immediately? Then please click the button below. You will be redirected to the booking and payment partner Bookingkit. There will be no extra costs for you.